To access VRP program information for volunteers, please click here.
About the VRP Program
The Volunteer and Retired Providers Program (VRP) supports healthcare volunteerism in Washington State by paying for malpractice insurance for all healthcare professionals and license renewal fees for retired healthcare professionals. The VRP Program serves free and charitable clinics, rural health clinics, camps, outreach programs, health fairs, federally qualified community health centers, and many other sites.
- Malpractice Benefit: Many healthcare professionals do not have malpractice insurance that also covers their volunteer work. The insurance is claims made and covers $1,000,000 per incident, $5,000,000 aggregate. Professionally employed healthcare professionals with site-specific malpractice insurance coverage are eligible for this benefit.
- License Renewal Benefit: The VRP Program also covers license renewal fees for those who only use their license for volunteer work (such as retirees). All professional license costs are covered (other than late fees and testing fees).
Read the 2016 and 2017 VRP Program report by clicking below.
Join the VRP Program
To access VRP Program benefits, you must be a VRP-approved site. VRP-approved sites:
- Provide healthcare services to low income patients
- Assure continuity of care
- Have arrangements for after-hours coverage (such as ER access)
- Have a referral system to assure patient access to care beyond services of volunteer healthcare professional(s)
- Do not compensate volunteers whose malpractice insurance is paid through the Volunteer and Retired Providers Program.
To become a VRP-approved site, please fill out the Site Application Form. Please note: you do not have to be a WHAA member to apply for the VRP Program.
If you have any questions about becoming an approved site, get in touch with us.
For more information on the VRP Program, please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
Need to recruit volunteers? We have two versions of our Volunteer and Retired Providers Program brochure to help: a customizable Word version and a printable PDF. Please see the below instructions to print.
All brochures need to be printed as PDFs. Choose "Print on Both Sides to Flip on Short Edge" for all cases.
If you are using the Microsoft Word version to add your clinic logo, please save the file as a PDF, and follow the above printing instructions.
Looking for free and low cost continuing education resources for your volunteers? Here's a few:
- Our partners at the Eastern Washington Area Health Education Center have a comprehensive list of CE opportunities in Washington and online.
- Our partners at the Western Washington Area Health Education Center maintain a list of free and low-cost upcoming CE/CME opportunities.
- Free six-hour online suicide training offered by Kaiser Permanente.
- The Washington State Nurses Association offers free online continuing nursing education acccessible at this site.
- Retired dental providers who are only using their license for volunteer work are eligible for free admission to the Pacific Northwest Dental Conference, June 20-22, 2019 in Bellevue. Please email us for more information.
- Colgate Oral Health Network maintains a list of free continuing dental education opportunities.
- Live online seminars and live seminars (low-cost) from CE International. Memberships are $199 and offer unlimited CE courses for a year.
- The Cross Cultural Health Care Program offers education and continuing education around medical interpretation in the Seattle area.
- A list of free opioid CE courses compiled by the Medical Society of Virginia. These courses are primarily targeted towards physicians, but other provider types can benefit from some of the courses.
- The American Psychiatric Nurses Association runs free CE courses for all nurses and lists other free CE opportunities at this link.
Please contact us if you need support or have any questions at all. We're here to help!
Washington Healthcare Access Alliance, VRP Program
PO Box 14506
Seattle, WA 98114
Phone number: (267) 713-9422
Fax number: (206) 260-8859